My Shelfari Bookshelf

View my Tasty Kitchen Profile
Mommy’s Kitchen

Friday, December 10, 2010

Novel: Mistletoe Murder


Lucy Stone is a typical mom.  But when she discovers Sam Miller dead in his car in the parking lot at Country Cousins, she takes on the new role of detective.  Mistletoe Murder introduces a delightful cast of characters in a delightful cozy series.  

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel.  For some reason, I've been putting it off for quite some time.  Our book club decided to read it this month and I'm so glad we did!  

Lucy Stone and the entire Stone family are just fabulous.  I love that I can really relate to the main character.  She's a working mom, but still manages to fit in time to bake cookies and clean house.  Her husband Bill is a great father.  I particularly loved the comment about having "lots" of quality time with the children and both parents being ready to have a drink together.  As a mom, I've had that exact feeling more than once.  Lucy was scared at the right times and bold at the right times.  She seemed very real to me.

My only criticism of the story is that I found the ending to be slightly anticlimactic.  I won't give away any spoilers, but it was so carefully thought out, that it was almost boring.  There was no danger, no fight, no suspense.  The ending was cozy, just like the rest of the novel.  While this is not a complaint for 95% of the book, the ending could have packed a little more punch.

This series is full of holiday themes.  It would take years for me to read all of them if I waited until the corresponding holiday.  The next book is Tippy Toe Murder and I plan to read it as soon as possible!  I think I have found a new series!

Mistletoe Murder
by Leslie Meier
Rating: 4/5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment