My Shelfari Bookshelf

View my Tasty Kitchen Profile
Mommy’s Kitchen

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Cake: Puppy Cake and Pawprint Cupcakes


For my son's first birthday party, we went with a dog theme.  I used the Wilton Animal Crackers cake pan for the dog.  I added formed shape of fondant for the bottom part of the ears.  I iced it using a star tip and a small piping tip.  The pawprints are made with Junior Mints and York peppermint patties.  I also served iced sugar cookies in the shape of bones and puppy chow (see recipe).

1 comment:

  1. I see now that this is an old post, but I just wanted to let you know that I came across your photo as I was frantically searching for SOME kind of dog cake that I might actually be able to accomplish as a basic baker and I was inspired! I was given 24 hours notice for the cake for my niece. I didn't have the animal crackers pan (though I WANT IT now) so I just used a 9" cake pan and I don't know how to do fondant, so I modified it and put the ears on the round. Then made the cupcakes using junior mints and mini oreos. No room for a red vine collar - but that would have been really cute.

    I thought that I was being very clever by making "dog bone" sugar cookies, but now that I have found your blog post, I see that I wasn't as original as I thought -- oh well, great minds think alike, right? I didn't make puppy chow because I didn't think of it, but that's another GREAT IDEA!

    Thank you so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete